We Grew Melons!!!

First of all I need to say that I have been missing in action on this blog.  Why?
Camping with Kids & Grandkids, canning, garden picking, 
swimming in the lakes and more food preservation...
 because the garden has been bounteous this year!

It has been unbelievable what we have been able to grow and harvest
Never have we been able to grow melons, oh we have grown vines, 
but never any fully ripe melons.

Now they aren't very big, but they are delicious!

Noir Des Carmes Cantaloupe is a sweet melon that doesn't really look much like a cantaloupe on the outside, but is the normal soft orange color inside.  The seeds came from Caleb Warnock's  Renaissance Seeds 

My only regret is that I didn't save the seeds from the biggest one.  Caleb says, "The best self-seeding cantaloupe on earth, as long as you don't let other cantaloupe pollinate it."  Thank goodness I didn't plant all of them this year. Renaissance Seeds is in Utah County, Utah.

As you can see this watermelon is just smaller than a dinner plate.
Blacktail Mountain Watermelon from Jackie Clay's Seeds 
I figured if they can grow them in Minnesota with a short season, 
I can grow them here.
Well, it worked!!!

Tonight I had Fruit Salad, Cottage Cheese 
and lightly Roasted Almonds for dinner.

Don't you just love summer?  It still is summer for a few more days!!!

Comments

Popular Posts