Vitamins on Plates, not Pills ... and Recipe

I was out in the garden today, pulling some weeds and giving them to the rabbits, and planting more Lettuce, Red Chard and Carrots.  While I was there enjoying the warmth of the soil and the air I was pondering my blessings.  I was glad to smell the exotic scents of Valerian flowering and sad to see the Mock Orange flowers fading that were such a delight for the past couple of weeks.

Being out doing my "farm" chores and along with spending a few moments petting the rabbits and chickens I feel close to nature and grounded.  Even though our youngest son had his wisdom teeth out this morning and I am helping him, life is truly beautiful.  Even though our wonderful Grandma is in hospice, life is good and God is so gracious to my family and I.

So, while doing and pondering, the thought came to me...."Vitamins on Plates, not Pills".  I am not saying don't take your vitamins, because I still do.  But there is wonderful food available to us to delight our palates and nourish our bodies and soul.  I am a proponent of "Nature Therapy" and feel it can assist us in processing the stresses of daily life and having a emotionally healthy life.  The exercise and strength from working in the garden along with the fresh bounties can fill our plates with vitamins.
We are having fresh pickings for dinner tonight:
Varaity of Salad Greens
Sauteed Garlic Scapes and Snow Peas
German Hot Potato Salad
Grass Fed Beef Patty
Strawberries

We are blessed with a great garden!  Thank you family for all your help!!!  And if you don't already have your garden going, it is NOT too late.  I still haven't planted all of my corn and I will continue planting till the end of August.

If you don't have a garden, find a local CSA or visit a Farmers Market for your vitamins.  They have delicious seasonal selcetions too!
Hot German Potato Salad

4 large Potatoes, boiled in their jackets (I like Reds)
5 slices of Bacon, chopped
1 cup Onion, chopped

Dressing:
1/4 cup Herb or Apple Cider Vinegar
1/4 cup Water
1/4 cup Sugar or equivalent natural sweetener (Stevia)
1 teaspoon Mustard Seeds 
Salt and Pepper

1 Tablespoon Lovage leaves, chopped

Fry bacon in large skillet over medium heat until almost crisp.  Stir often and do not remove grease.
Add chopped onion and cook until onion is lightly brown, stirring often. 

Place dressing ingredients into sauce pan and bring to a boil.  Slice warm potatoes into large bowl.  Pour hot dressing and cook bacon & onion mixture.  Stir well.  Let sit for at least 15 minutes, stirring occasionally to evenly distribute dressing and so it can be absorbed.

Top with lovage and serve.

Lovage is a perennial herb.  I started this one from seed a few years ago.  It can get up to 8 feet tall.  It is one of the main herbal ingredients  in my seasoning salt. Lovage has a strong "celery" flavor and scent. It is used in German and European foods.  I mostly use the the leaves, but the stems are hollow and can be used for straws, if you don't mind the wonderful "celery" flavor.  Medicinally it has been used to support healthy urinary tract, digestion, respitory system.

For further information on the properties and uses of Lovage:


Comments

Popular Posts