Rhubarb from the Garden & Recipe


 I was out working in the garden today and picked a basket full of Rhubarb.  I just had to show how big the leaves are.  Crazy, big! 

To harvest Rhubarb, you pull firmly and never cut it.  That way the plant recovers quickly and grows more for you.  I twist off the leaves and use them as a walkway mulch.  You can see them behind me.
 One of the family favorites is Rhubarb Crisp made with our trusty Apple Crisp Recipe topping.
I wash and clean a large bunch of rhubarb and cut it up.  I just put it into 2 pie pans, so I knew how much to prepare.  Then put the rhubarb into a large bowl with 1 cup sugar.  Stir till mixed and put it back into the pie pans.

Rhubarb (Apple) Crisp Topping
2 cups oatmeal
2 cups whole wheat or white flour
1 tablespoon cinnamon powder
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup butter, melted

Mix all ingredients together.  Divide between 2 pie pans and place on top of sweetened rhubarb.  Bake at 350' for 45 to 60 minutes or until juices bubble.

This recipe can also be made in 1 - 9X13" pan, instead of 2 pie pans.


Comments

Popular Posts