25lbs Pinto Beans...What to do?
How to Can Pinto Beans
Dry beans can only be canned in a pressure canner.
- Soak beans over night in large bowl or container. Use a container much larger than you think you will need.
- Drain beans.
- Place 3 cups soaked beans into 1 quart jar.
- Add 1 teaspoon salt.
- Pour boiling water on top of beans, with 1 inch head-space.
- Wipe jar rims clean.
- Boil canning lids
- Place lids onto jars and screw on rings.
- Place 7 jars into pressure canner adding water as directed by canner instructions.
- Pressure can for 90 minutes at 10 pounds pressure.
- Cool down canner and remove jars.
- Cool and clean jars. Store in a cool, dark place.
We love to have canned Pinto Beans available for off the shelf use. Our teenage son especially likes to have them available to make bean dip or bean burritos. Your kids might like them too. We all do.