My Garden Seed List
My gardening goals are:
1. High production for my time and space.
2. Seeds and plants for our maritime weather. Most of these seed varieties will also work in other short season zones.
3. Variety of produce for our diets.
4. Food that can be eaten fresh, stored for winter or preserved via canning, freezing or dehydration.
5. Almost year round gardening or fresh foods.
6. Seeds that are heirloom and can be saved from year to year.
7. Store at least two years worth of seeds.
Your gardening goals may be different and you might not have the same space that we do. But I encourage you to have your own gardening goals.
The following is my seed list for this year. I print this out and carry it with me shopping, crossing off items as I acquire them. You may notice from my list that I am specific about the varieties that I want. That is for a couple of reasons; a short season producer, prolific, the best tasting, fits the criteria for year round growth or storage.
Garden Seed List
- The Rite Aid down the street just put out their seed racks. I search through the rack for the heirloom varieties on my list and will use my Wellness Rewards or Video Value Coupons to buy seeds.
- Free Seeds: MaryJanes Farmgirl Connection has been a fun place to barter or seep swap. This year I am trying Dave's Garden trade list for some seeds.
- Free Tomato seeds, Winter Sown.
- Gurney's has a deal right now for $25 worth of seeds when you purchase $25 or more.
- I like to purchase from Seed Savers potatoes and any other heirlooms I can't find other places. I do like their lower shipping fees, especially on potatoes.
Perennial Vegetables (That we already have growing.)
- Strawberries, June and Everbearing varieties
- Jerserulam Artichokes
- Red Strawberry Rhubarb
- Egyptian (Walking) Onions
* A blog post will be forth coming about some of these old-fashioned and under used vegetables. It will include recipes and uses.
If you would like to have a copy of my Victory Garden Packet, with loads of gardening tips and techniques, please email me. firstname.lastname@example.org