Spring Musing


The sun has finally decided to come out for a little more that a glimpse and I’m ready for spring.  It’s in the high 60’s and the green world has started to wake-up from its long gray winter nap.

This past few days have been filled with wild herbal delightful finds.  The self heal is at its blooming prime.  The dandelions are starting to show their sun shining flowers.

The nettles are begging to be harvested.  And the chickweed and sorrel are saying “I’m here, eat me”.

So what to do with these spring delights:

Dandelions 
-I sauteed the dandelions greens and chickweed in some butter, poured scrambled eggs cooked and seasoned.  Delicious!

-A large basket of flowers are picked, and made into an overnight infusion, strained and equal parts of honey added, along with a touch of lemon essential oils.
What an allergy & hay fever support this will be!
-The flowers made a colorful addition to green salads too.

Self Heal
-This has also been made into 2 tinctures using vegetable glycerin & 190’ proof alcohol.
I have a son whose has a special affinity for this herb.  It’s also going to be a great tonic.
-The dehydrator has just finished this sweet herb to be added to tea blends.

Nettles
This herb is do full of vitamins and minerals and tastes so good too.
-Dried to add to teas.
-Made into vinegar for pickled nettles to add to sauces, salads, etc. because of there nutrient power.
-Blanched and frozen to be used in place of spinach.  So yummy.
-Homemade Nettle Soup (That the children request and only get this time of year)
Sauté 1 chopped onion & 3 cloves garlic in olive oil in Dutch oven.  Add chopped 5 carrots and 3 potatoes and 3 cups water or broth.  Simmer until tender.  Then add a huge mess of fresh nettles on top and cover for a few minutes, until wilted completely.  Whirl in a blender or food processor until smooth, adding extra water or broth if necessary.  Serve with a dollop of sour cream. Salt and pepper to taste. Yum!


 Finally the long wait is over and spring is emerging into my soul, healing and renewing 
my spirit along the way.

Comments

marcia said…
Hi!
I just stopped in
to say i love your blog.

Both the dandelion and nettles recipes sound delicious.

I am going to *expand my world* and step out of my comfort zone this year and try foods I never have.

I usually spend spring through fall collecting scrumptious dandelion greens on our farm for the rabbits and the ducks. I think this year I will partake of them as well.

~m
www.harmonywoodsfarm.com
www.childinharmony.com

Popular Posts