Salsa Update


This year I did the salsa the same as previous years, but I added a little purchased tomato puree to thicken it up. We grew all the peppers, except for the jalapenos.

Our Salsa Recipe has no amounts listed, because we always go by the taste, but here is a list of the ingredients: tomatoes, a variety of peppers, including a few jalapenos, onions, garlic, cilantro, salt and tomato puree.

Everything is blended into a very large bowl and taste tested with tortilla chips. Flavors are adjusted. Then the salsa is placed raw into clean jars. It is cooked in the jars while it is being pressure canned, thus saving me a step.

I always pressure can the salsa, because I refuse to add vinegar or lemon juice to raise the acidity. It makes my salsa too runny. Pressure can for 30 minutes at 10 pounds pressure. This salsa can separate, but a good shake of the jar before serving resolves this easily. Ole!!!

Comments

emily :) said…
Looks so good!!! :)
L Rammell said…
There is nothing like homemade salsa! That looks delicious. Can I live at your house? Send a line sometime; my computer crashed and I lost my contacts. rmml321@gmail.com
Anonymous said…
That sounds absolutely delicious. I'll bet the cilantro is a great addition.

preparednesspro.com

Popular Posts